California Tenant’s Legal Obligations for Care of Premises. A tenant’s affirmative obligations to a landlord for reasonable care and habitability are:
- Keep his or her part of the premises as clean and sanitary as possible.
- Dispose of garbage and trash in a clean and sanitary manner.
- Properly use the plumbing, electrical, and gas fixtures and keep them as clean as their condition permits.
- Not permit any person on the premises to willfully destroy, deface, damage, impair, or remove any part of the structure, facilities, or equipment.
- Occupy the premises for sleeping, cooking, dining, or other purposes for which they were designed or intended.
Failure to meet these obligations could possibly result in tenant being served with eviction notice.